2.12.2012

Judgement Day

The medic stood and faced his God,
Upon his judgment day.
He hoped his uniform was clean,
unsure what God would say.
"Step forward now, paramedic.
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To my word have you been true?"
The medic squared his shoulders and said,
"No Lord I guess I ain't,
cause those of us who wade in blood,
can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays,
and at times my talk was tough.
There were times my faith had faltered,
‘cause the job is awful rough.
But I never took a penny
that wasn't mine to keep.
I worked a lot of overtime,
when the bills got really steep.
We both already know,
I wasn’t in it for the pay.
I wasn’t in it for the glory,
And until my dying day,
I never passed a cry for help,
though at times I shook with fear.
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I wept unmanly tears.
I know there is no place for me,
among the people here.
They never wanted me around,
except to calm their fears.
If you have a place for me,
it needn't be so grand.
I’ll be forever grateful if you do,
But if you don't I understand."
There was silence all around the throne,
where saints had often trod.
As there medic waited quietly
for the judgment of his God.
"Step forward now, paramedic,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on heavens streets,
You've done your time in hell."

No comments:

Post a Comment